24TH MARCH, 2020
COVID-19 AND FIRE OUTBREAK IN OUR HOMES
In the wake of the outbreak of COVID-19 in Ghana and subsequent directives given by the President, His Excellency Nana Addo Danquah Akufo Addo leading to the closing down of all educational institutions, as well as recommendations being made by health professionals regarding the use of Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizers (ABHS) and other alcoholic products, Management of the Ghana National Fire Service would like to sensitize the public on the possible causes of fire outbreaks as a result of these occurrences as follows.
1. Alcohol based hand sanitizers as the name suggest has a content of alcohol sufficient to cause an ignition if it comes into contact with a source of ignition The public is therefore advised against its use close to any heat source especially in the kitchen.
2. The storage of the local gin (Akpeteshie) in our homes is highly dangerous as the liquid is highly inflammable and storing it in huge quantities could cause major fire outbreaks. The general public is cautioned to desist from this act in order to prevent the incident of fire outbreaks in our homes.
3. The general public is urged to avoid multiple chores during the period of stay in our homes, because any carelessness or negligence can cause fires.
4. Children must be well guided as they remain at home against the use of matches and coming close to liquefied petroleum gas which are known to be common causes of domestic fires.
5. Parents are also advised to discourage their children against playing with our emergency lines 112 and 192 which often result in prank call depriving other genuine emergency callers from prompt assistance.
6. The Command of the Ghana National Fire Service wishes to assure the public of its preparedness to ensure that all lives and property are protected against fire outbreaks and all other related emergency situations.
ELLIS ROBINSON OKOE
(DIVISIONAL OFFICER GRADE II)
HEAD OF PUBLIC RELATIONS